[OpenIndiana-discuss] nfs oi server - linux clients

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Sep 17 01:57:10 UTC 2014

Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> writes:

> Hugh McIntyre <lists at mcintyreweb.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Harry,
>>
>> It's possible you have somehow mounted the filesystem locally with
>> noexec (unlikely, but you can check with "mount | grep /projects/dv"
>> and make sure noexec is not in the options).
>
> Host naming convention for clarity
> solsrv is my oi server
> lincli is the linux client
>
> Before going on with all the rest... there IS a NOEXEC option set.
> Where would that setting be coming from?

[...]

Problem is solved, to a degree.  Still lots of room for improving my
understanding of why it does what it does.

I was mounting thru /etc/fstab and posted the line:

  srvHOST:/share    /mount/point      nfs4   rw,user,exec     0     0

With the line above, execution did not work

  srvHOST:/share    /mount/point      nfs4   rw     0     0

Execution also failed with the above line

  srvHOST:/share    /mount/point      nfs4   defaults     0     0

However, with the line above in fstab... execution now works