[OpenIndiana-discuss] Bash bug issue

Predrag Zecevic [Unix Systems Administrator] Predrag.Zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Thu Sep 25 13:51:14 UTC 2014

On 09/25/14 03:48 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2014, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
>>
>> Recent discussions seem to lead to a general security concern
>> with the crippled bash parser, so there nearly certainly will
>> be more and more security issues in the next days to come up.
>> I think the better alternative is to provide 'dash' and symlink
>> bash to dash instead, as dash much cleaner, faster, and POSIX -
>> compliant. Although, as it has not been widely used as bash
>> yet, could have its own bugs not yet discovered....
>
> Unfortunately, 'dash' is not completely compatible with scripts written for 'bash'.  It is not clear to my why people write shell
> scripts targeting bash, but it seems to happen often.
>
> Bob

Probably because they are coming from Linux background...

I had to leave ksh because of that ...

Regards.

--
Predrag Zečević, Technical Support Analyst, 2e Systems GmbH

Telephone: +49 6196 9505 815, Facsimile: +49 6196 9505 894
Mobile:    +49  174 3109 288,     Skype: predrag.zecevic
E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
                       65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Managing director:    Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!

Never put off till run-time what you can do at compile-time. -- D. Gries