[OpenIndiana-discuss] Bash bug issue

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Thu Sep 25 17:04:00 UTC 2014

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Bash bug issue, Bob Friesenhahn...:

> Unfortunately, 'dash' is not completely compatible with scripts written for
> 'bash'.  It is not clear to my why people write shell scripts targeting bash,
> but it seems to happen often.

Two reasons:

- It's the "all the world's a VAX" syndrome for the current generation.

- bash (and ksh) do provide some handy features that traditional Bourne
   shell does not, and for a large portion of inexperienced programmers,
   convenience/laziness trumps portability

Both things drive me crazy, but they've been going on for my entire
career in computing, so I have no reason to expect that either are going
to ever disappear.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)