[OpenIndiana-discuss] Illumos KMF

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 14:21:37 UTC 2014

On 09/26/14 10:35 AM, Carsten Grzemba wrote:
> The main tools are certutil and pk12util to manage the cert8.db and key3.db's, which still used by firefox and Co. I guess the tools for managing the hardware encryption of Sparc Systems is not of interest here. The most of OSS use OpenSSL.
Using hardware encryption on SPARC is one of the most valuable things on
SPARC platform.
There are patches in SunSSH that support SPARC hardware encryption.
SPARC is supported on illumos and I see no reason for distributions to
loose SPARC support.

Not integrating support support for SPARC hardware encryption,
could be disastrous to SPARC support, as it was disastrous for x86
support in 90s and in part of 2000s. Better supporting SPARC is one of
bigger benefits for illumos distributions in comparison to other platforms.

With this rate of removing options, technologies and benefits from
illumos distributions, we might be left with bare bone distros that are
worth nothing better then some XY Linux distro in the wild.