[OpenIndiana-discuss] Illumos KMF

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 14:39:38 UTC 2014

On 09/26/14 10:02 AM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> Hello.
> I'd like to update mozilla-nss and mozilla-nspr in OI /hipster.
> However, it can affect illumos KMF (Key Management Framework)
> http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18752_01/html/816-4557/kmf-1.html .
>
> Does someone uses it? Does someone know how to test it?
One question on mailing list is not enough to measure if and who uses
what part of the system.
If you remove some important part of the system that makes it
incompatible with previous ways of doing things, you must be sure o have
procedures and commands that replace functionality
and explain how that affect current applications compatibility.

It needs to be documented somewhere, how to migrate from current state
of using something to new state, how new tools are used comparing to
previous, what to do in cases where compatibility is needed .

Making distribution is not just hop-la "let's change something" "asking
huh is someone using it? - 5 seconds before we chop it off" .
All that "rolling release" way of dealing things is bad excuse for
having something almost unmanageable unmaintainable, unsupportable and
useless for the production use.

Unfortunately bad practices of not having even versioned releases from
illumos and also not having exact data to steer and plan distribution's
way, but with asking questions on mailing list on random moments,  make
it's way to Openindiana and other distros.

Are you actually sure you know what you need to be tested?