[OpenIndiana-discuss] Illumos KMF

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 22:38:20 UTC 2014

On 09/26/14 04:53 PM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> On 09/26/2014 18:39, Nikola M. wrote:
>>
>> Are you actually sure you know what you need to be tested?
>>

> No, this is why I'm asking.
> I'd like to update mozilla-nss and nspr and like to see what can be
> affected.
>
> And, honestly, if the question is "should we deliver out of date and
> vulnerable nss/nspr or break something which nobody uses", I'd prefer
> the later.
How do you know "nobody uses" . You woke one day and decided it is like
that or you think posting on mailing list is true measurement of usage
of what seems like core functionality for some uses? (Certificate
Authority and managing keys certainly sounds like that)
> In this case I don't think that it will be broken, mozilla nss/nspr
> libraries have good compatibility. Besides this, OmniOS has already
> updated them. But I just like to test it somehow.
True, let us learn how to use it, how to test it, how to test it and use
it after changes
and all that without pretext of "just remove it".

It is commendable to ask people to react, but there must to be some
better process around it, like forming and then contacting team(s) etc.
There are many better ways of getting usage statistics but this.
How like some preinstalled package that measure usage of commands as a
service? (too intrusive?)

Or simply looking at IPS installation statistics from /dev Publisher (as
opposed to /hipster publisher where I suppose not many people use on
production machines, but on laptops and for testing etc.).