[OpenIndiana-discuss] zfs list when change after deletions

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Apr 6 15:53:15 UTC 2015

Running 151_9

I got a notification that a zpool was nearing the full mark.

zfs `list -r p0' showed 825 gb in use and 89 gb left.

After checking it out I deleted about 260gb from one of zfs fs on
`p0'.

I have yet to see any change in what zfs list -r `p0' shows.  still
showing 825gb in use and 89gb left.

Further the zfs fs I deleted the 260gb from still shows 519gb for that
fs as it did to start with.

A `du' of the actual dataset shows only 259gb.

I realize `du' is not the tool to use with zfs for the most part but
still expecting to see some change in `zfs list -r' output.

So, is there a period of time that it normally takes for reduction in
a zfs fs to be reflected in `zfs list -r'?

/bin/df -h reflects the 260gb reduction in that zfs fs but still shows
only 89gb available.

I'm thinking I should be seeing something like 260 + 89 = 349gb
available

I thought maybe I needed to scrub that disc and commenced a scrub
which will be running for a while.

Can some of you experienced hands explain what I am seeing?