[OpenIndiana-discuss] ashift 13?

Jason Matthews jason at broken.net
Tue Apr 7 21:36:05 UTC 2015

On 4/7/2015 1:13 PM, Jason Matthews wrote:

> I wonder what 4k write sizes look like. Let's find out.

The results are in. 4k sectors consume 302G for this data set.

512b  202GB
4KB    302GB
8KB    474GB

shit, what do 256byte sectors look like. Maybe I can compress the
dataset into nothing and stop buying DC S3700/S3710s

i think the most valuable thing I have in the data center is are drive
bays. Is there any compelling reason to run an SSD at anything other
512b? Does anyone think it is going to be significantly faster, running
at 8k as opposed to 512b?

I am looking for a reason not to nail sd.conf to 512 bytes given how
much more costly it is run at native sector sizes.

thoughts?