[OpenIndiana-discuss] Firefox 31.3.0 (and v 31.5.0 and 24.* and 17.* ) file downloads fail mostly, "Refresh Firefox" isn't working on Solaris/Illumos

Predrag Zecevic [Unix Systems Administrator] Predrag.Zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Fri Apr 10 13:17:15 UTC 2015

On 04/10/15 03:10 PM, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> The failures have varying forms:
>
> A text file will sometimes be displayed instead of downloaded. Sometimes it will be downloaded, sometimes it all fails.
> A pdf download will most often fail, but occasionally be downloaded.
> Zip och bz or tar packages have so far never failed.
>
> What gives??
>
> As stated in the subject, I have tested a few different reasonably modern FF versions, and they all behave the same.
>
> Version 3.6 works well, and has never failed a download.
> (However, several functions on web sites, such as Google Groups and Gmail, aren't really useful in v 3.6. Too many features are
> marginal with this version.)
>
> What could be the reason for the failed downloads???
>
> I have tested starting a fresh profile, but nothing helps, so the Firefox Refresh might not be very useful, But I notice that it
> isn't available.
>
> Please give me as many hints on things to test for, or own experiences or whatever.
>

> I have one machine running Oracle Solaris 11.2 with FF 31 and I haven't seen the behaviour in that, but then I haven't done too many
> downloads in there: at least few enough not to dare to draw any safe conclusions, but it might be OK or at least less prone to this
> problem.
>

> Hans J. Albertsson

Hi,

I have faced same problem when using packages... Instead, started to use tar version(s), and download worked...
For example:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/31.1.1esr/contrib/solaris_tarball/

There are other small problems (flashplayer) but that is another story.

With best regards,
Predrag Zečević

Predrag Zečević
Technical Support Analyst
2e Systems GmbH

Telephone: +49 6196 9505 815, Facsimile: +49 6196 9505 894
Mobile:    +49  174 3109 288,     Skype: predrag.zecevic
E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
                       65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Managing director:    Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!