[OpenIndiana-discuss] Firefox 31.3.0 (and v 31.5.0 and 24.* and 17.* ) file downloads fail mostly, "Refresh Firefox" isn't working on Solaris/Illumos

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 13:10:03 UTC 2015

The failures have varying forms:

A text file will sometimes be displayed instead of downloaded. Sometimes
it will be downloaded, sometimes it all fails.
A pdf download will most often fail, but occasionally be downloaded.
Zip och bz or tar packages have so far never failed.

What gives??

As stated in the subject, I have tested a few different reasonably
modern FF versions, and they all behave the same.

Version 3.6 works well, and has never failed a download.
(However, several functions on web sites, such as Google Groups and
Gmail, aren't really useful in v 3.6. Too many features are marginal
with this version.)

What could be the reason for the failed downloads???

I have tested starting a fresh profile, but nothing helps, so the
Firefox Refresh might not be very useful, But I notice that it isn't
available.

Please give me as many hints on things to test for, or own experiences
or whatever.

I have one machine running Oracle Solaris 11.2 with FF 31 and I haven't
seen the behaviour in that, but then I haven't done too many downloads
in there: at least few enough not to dare to draw any safe conclusions,
but it might be OK or at least less prone to this problem.

Hans J. Albertsson