[OpenIndiana-discuss] Martin Bochnig

Nikolam minikola at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 08:51:13 UTC 2015

Hi I am forwarding to the list Martin's response to my letter on the list.
I had no intention of doing anything bad by putting Martin to the subject.

Marting blames me for inability to post to OI mailing lists and was
putting my name to blame on it's site, but I am not one who blocked
Martin from expressing on this list.

I think that banning and filtering of anyone on public mailing list is
a bad thing and blocking should be revoked.
I suggest that Martin's access to oi-dev mailing list is restored so
he could be doing technical contribution he is promising, that I still
believe could easily be done and that OI could be benefiting from.

Being part of the community is strong need and I think that technical
people like Marting should have a chance to contribute and that be
given a chance to be treated fairly.

Down this post, I put Martin's integral response as requested,
because I believe in freedom on Internet to response
and that Martin's letter have many technical info related to IPS and OI
and IS on topic on this list.

If all goes well we will have valuable contributor back to the community.
Especially take notice to "@@@@@" part
where Martin is promising releasing he's distribution source code
and inclusion in development together with OI and illumos, it is worth
trying to work out.

Here goes Martin's response:

On 4/6/15, Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/ 3/15 03:48 AM, Martin Bochnig via openindiana-discuss wrote:
>>
>> Actually I didn't want to reply to these jokes, but as April 1st is
>> already over, I am probably forced to correct a few of your phantasies,
>> for the "newcomers" as you call me, or at least for the records.
>> Therefore I re-subscribed for this clarification. Maybe for submitting
>> diffs? No, bad luck. The social structures of this vibrant OI community
>> are neither vibrant nor community-like.
> Please stop advertizing your subscriptioin or unsubscription.
> It's antisocial and harming of community of OI. (And trolling)
> Saying bad words on community that is supposed to hear you is not
> helping your image.
>
> For quickly re-building your image it's enough just to start developing
> everything in open (like OI always does).
> Exchanging source between distributions it only a good thing for everyone.
>
> Copyleft licenses  require releasing of sources and changes together
> with binaries, so everyone can build it.

 Some things you should consider instead of continuing to blackmail me
with such always the same offending messages (this year even with the
taboo of having put my name into the subject line) - probably having
the single motivation to grab what you need and somehow plug it into
OI, as good as you quickly can, letting OpenSXCE die, and me with it,
who of you cares?? Is that the goal of true
"community"-"collaboration"?

Back in late 2012 I had naively, honestly and with the truly best
intentions approached the Illumos community plus separately the OI
community in a friend's manner, with the proposal of publishing what I
so far had developed back then (and now in addition also everything
until now), fully open, inter-distro co-operation with OI (later
DilOS) and the kernel folks from illumos.org, mailing lists,
bug-tracker, the possibility for everybody to join and contribute:

[OpenIndiana-discuss] A potential new Illumos reference distro
candidate: IA32, AMD64, sun4u, sun4v
http://openindiana.org/pipermail/openindiana-discuss/2012-December/010921.html

However, what was the response?
Laughter, silly comments about SPARC being old crap for hoppy-users,
remarks that distro-creation is too trivial for the heroic kernel
folks from illumos.org to be interesting (even to just check some
facts, or try to build a distro from scratch themselves)

Once or so per year I complained about the lack of taking just only
the time to read what I wrote:

INTEL, IA32, i80686, AMD64 *is* *well* *supported* by OpenSXCE: Some
run it on theit Netbook! - OR: The ability to read a text and absorb
information
http://developer.illumos.narkive.com/TaRAfffm/intel-ia32-i80686-amd64-is-well-supported-by-opensxce-some-run-it-on-theit-netbook-or-the-ability

Here the parts I have to offer, developed in years without income,
which brough me without exaggeration 100k++ of $DEBTS$ at my family
(no bank would give me any loan, no way)!!!

* Illumos based SPARC distro port

* Intel-gfx DRM/GEM/KMS port to Illumos x86/x64, now up-rev'ed with
what Alan Coopersmith thankfully recently published (and related
software that needs to be updated, too, inoder for this newer DRM
kernel driver to link and attach etc etc etc, maybe you know what I me

* Firefox 38 port to Illumos x86 and SPARC, compiled with gcc, even
with the ability to flawlessly run all Flash-plugin revisions, even
though compiled with gcc!

* Thunderbird 38.0b1 (gcc compiled by myself)

* Illumos kernel fix to prevent the same Flash plugins from crashing
in all newer FF versions (based on plugin-container), no matter if
built with Studio (as provided by Sun/Oracle and only re-distributed
in OI and Hipster) or gcc, although few appear to have found out how
to succeeed with any self-building of FF, no matter if with gcc,
Studio, Oracle's diffs, NetBSD's diffs or any combination. And nobody
published these secrets, but from me you DEMAND them, while otherwise
insulting me on public lists and threatening me to contact Mozilla in
relation to their licensing rules valid in a country, which cares a
shit about privacy, licenses, international law, innocent lives and so
on: the USA!
Sun/Oracle btw. posts and updates the FF31 ESR bins for monts now,
while being a huge commercial corporation, owned by one of the richest
oligarchs (such billionaires are only called "oligarch" by our
wonderful western MSM, if they are "Putin's friend" and if it somhow
fits the narrative of US-exceptionalism) yet when I last looked the
most recent Studio patches available from Oracle were still for the
older FF24 ESR, also partially broken on Illumos's include files,
although that's of course not Sun/Oracle's fault.

* How to get the last September 2012 slim_install bits working on
Illumos based distros (without croinfo and without lots of other
missing parts, mostly python modules).

* FullyOpenX backport of newer revs to the good old framework of
having X11 in /usr/X11, ISA related subdir separation of IA32 versus
amd64, best compromise of xaa and umx based ddx's, keeping the matrix
of native hardware support the widest technically possible (xaa versus
uxa, many older ddx'es were not ported to uxa, yet newer Xorg servers
than 1.12.x no longer support xaa accelerated ddx's)

* my additions to make openXsun actually work (without Sun's libXfont,
which is closed src and could not be opened)

* various secrets to get the Sun provided binary redistributable Xsun
ddx'es actually functioning on Illumos derived kernels.

* my revival of SVR4 itself, which took me MONTHS (literally!) to
hand-edit them, only based on references to old SXCE snv_130.
Of course I could not copy and paste anything, and therefore did not
even try that for local use.
I also did not want to auto-generate them from IPS manifests, because
in snv_133 Sun/Oracle had completely messed with some important
packages, that had been separate core packages for decades, but since
snv_134 are now glued together to larger cluster packages. Therfore -
with my goal to sincerely rescue SVR4 pkgadd, it took me hundreds if
not thousands of hours to manually create the OS/Net pkgdefs, only
based on find, grep, vi operating over Illumos' proto area on my
Celeron and SPARC machines.
Sorry for this short explanation, the old one was on my blog. Of
course I would be glad to contribute these pkgdefs into Illumos, which
can peacefully co-exists with IPS manifests: IPS lives in usr/src/pkg,
and SVR4 still in usr/src/pkgdefs. A plain nightly option would
suffice to switch between the two. Or inside bldenv you could simply
go there and run "make install", to generate the packages.

* Grub 2 working and booting EFI

* libdiskmgt.so.1 fix

* OpenOffice and LibreOffice x86/x64 and SPARC

* Experience in building Qemu (initial Solaris Hosts port in 2007
co-authored), Xen, VirtualBox, vlc, QT4.8, JDS/Gnome-gate with
pkgbuild, X11, G11n etc ...

(Only a few) more details can be found in the README:
http://svr4.opensxce.org/RELEASE_NOTES__OpenSXCE2014.05_x86_x64_INTEL32-64_AMD32-64____sun4u_sun4v_SPARC.txt

/* @@@@@
@@@@@
Here the TODO list for _you_, if you want to stop me from simply
putting opensxce.org offline and working as a well-paid locomotive
driver, leaving Solaris and the entire pain behind me forever, while
keeping the src here or maybe even freeing my hdd's from all
OpenSolaris related archives I ever created.
Maybe some folks have no real picture how much time, space,
workkkkkkkkkkkkk, coffee etc. is involved.
It is not a joke: I seriously consider starting a better happier life,
by removing Solaris-distro-development from my daily list of problems
I want to solve.

If you want any src from me, here are my "conditions" :

* The illumos community which found it necessary to ban me from their
mailings lists in 2013 because of their so called "no kveching rule",
which was not even in place until _after_ they had deleted my account,
needs to apologize and fully re-habilitate me.

* Garret D'Amore needs to apologize for his rant against me when he
asked me on a public list "Didn't you take your meds today?" and when
he also ridiculed my software development skills.

* I would be willing to fully sync OpenSXCE with hipster (as SVR4
counterpart), if OpenSXCE would get publishing help from Illumos
itself: Mailing list, wiki, OI and OpenSXCE's docs could be directly
crosslinked.

* Illumos needs to recognize OpenSXCE as (not the only one, but one of
the others and me) official Illumos projects and offcially supported
distros
@@@@@
@@@@@ */

In that case, yes.
Otherwise: $$$ as locomotive driver.
Yes - I studied Mathematics at Technical University of Berlin,
although I didn't finish it due to guess what: OpenSXCE, also due to
my temporary migration to Ukraine.
But I found out: life is too short for being a scientist, as I always
wanted to when I was young (before OpenSolaris was unleashed on
20050614).
Now I'm old, poor and fat. And honstly - I want to have $$$ for not
doing much, which is the opposite of what OpenSolaris brought me.

So: Solely if my fair expectations are being respected and met, I'm
willing to continue this trouble.
If you want the src, if you want the SPARC port, if you want X11 on
SPARC, if you want FF38 and Flash, if you want an EFI aware
gui-install etc etc etc: I think my expectations as outlined above are
fair and modest.

Otherwise: have a nice time.
But without OpenSXCE and without anything from it.

What do you propose? That I just upload everything to OpenSXCE.org and
given that I have no list mebership at Illumos, that you or somebody
with Illumos-Devel list membership and enough access permission
commits those things mentioned that relate to Illumos OS/Net directly,
the rest to OI/Hipster?

Reminder: It's not me who is the bad guy here, unwilling evil and
egoistic or whatever folks are blaming me for, but the way how
"thankful" Illumos has proven to be, considering my enthusiasm and
dedication for Solaris.

Another factor are end-users. While OpenSXCE.org does have a larger
than expected user base (judging from the number of downloads and repo
access), and some of them in fact donated and/or spoke out for me, the
majority stayed anonymous and quiet. The more so it was hurting to see
others, who found it necessary to thank me for it by spreading
complaints, flames and bad rumors about me, in mailing lists, irc and
newsgroups.
Or somebody who in 2012 asked me here on OI: Yes, please please craete
a SPARC-OI. But when I chose SVR4 pkgadd over IPS and renamed it back
to MartUX based OpenSXCE, they never again showed up, never agin spoke
out for me or OpenSXCE, and not even took the time to forward fresh OI
subscribers to OpenSXCE.org, in case of those newcomers who asked
about SPARC-support.

and as "thank You" a few ass-kicks on to of that.
And if I dared to complain: "Martin, you are an egoist". Abd if I
desparately asked for some small bits of survival help to get enough
$$$ to pay the electricity bill let alone the rent for this small
room: "Martin, you are yourself a capitalist!".

What a shit!

Ok, you should know now what needs to be done to rescue my
contributions as src for the OI- and wider OpenSolaris communities.
Otherwise: Not my bad  ...

And last but not least: Bad style!
If you want contributions from me for use in OpenIndiana/Hipster, ok, why not.
Hipster is certainly impressive, and I regret all who worked on it for
not getting paid for their work.

IPS has things which I hate, but on the other hand also an undoubted
number of benefits over "dumb" packaging systems such as SVR4 pkgadd
plus pkgutil.net as its smart pkg-manager.
IPS is way cleaner in many regards (while this also brings limits,
limitations and administrators have no freedom under IPS to make
certain decisions, get forced by IPS, also we as Distro-maintainers).
I appreciate the good sides of IPS, too.
But why didn't you nor anybody of them contact me openly and honestly,
asking me if I would want to join OpenIndiana/Hipster?
Why this nonsense instead with your copyleft license and all that?
It would probably be possible to maintain OpenSXCE and OI peacefully
together, the former with SVR4, the latter with IPS.

As always: Written in a plain text-Editor without spell-checker, then
pasted into webmail.
I hope this time there will be fewer spelling errors in it, but after
a long night I don't really want to re-read it for errors.

But honestly: It brought me nothing but poverty - no respect, no
career, no thanks.
My question: FOR WHAT?