[OpenIndiana-discuss] Illumos distro support model was Martin Bochnig

Ivar Janmaat ijanmaat at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 17 06:11:41 UTC 2015

Hello Volker,

I changed the subject of the e-mail but I don't agree that this is a
different subject.

Martin Bochnig maintains the OpenSXCE distro and is now blocked on the
following lists:
- openindiana-discuss
- llumos-Devel

I can imagine that nobody wants to contribute source code to a community
if you are banned from the community lists.
As a result the CDDL license forbids you to distribute the distribution
if the source code is not made available.
So basically, by acting this way, someone is killing a potential Illumos
based Distro from which we all would benefit.
To me this does not feel good. Apparently Illumos has no professional
governance model to resolve these issues.

If this can happen, any distro developer or vendor would think twice
before developing on Illumos. And that is a bad thing for the whole
Illumos community.
So I would suggest we think of a better way to approach this than hoping
it will be solved by itself.
I would like to keep de OpenSXCE distro available for anyone and at the
same time construct a transparent Illumos distro support model which
will support current and hopefully new distros.
Call it an incubator package or kickstart package which would inspire
new development on Illumos.
All suggestions are welcome.

Kind regards,

Ivar Janmaat