[OpenIndiana-discuss] Illumos distro support model was Martin Bochnig

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 14:45:26 UTC 2015

On 04/17/15 08:11 AM, Ivar Janmaat wrote:
> Hello Volker,
>
> I changed the subject of the e-mail but I don't agree that this is a
> different subject.
>
> Martin Bochnig maintains the OpenSXCE distro and is now blocked on the
> following lists:
> - openindiana-discuss
> - llumos-Devel
>
> I can imagine that nobody wants to contribute source code to a
> community if you are banned from the community lists.

I think it's the other way around.
People never seen contribution for years form martin and saw political
off topic posts and other off topic things.

> As a result the CDDL license forbids you to distribute the
> distribution if the source code is not made available.
> So basically, by acting this way, someone is killing a potential
> Illumos based Distro from which we all would benefit.
As said, it started other way around.
Also mailing list membership never stopped anyone of posting it's
patches, so it is just inconvenience, not an obstacle. So it's not
techical but someone's mind problem.

Also there is possibility of making other mailing lists, too. But if
someone is not following licenses for years it's known where the root of
problem is..

Ways of being included in public talk is if person is not attacking
other people or project , being on-topic
and .. that's it.  Maybe also a bit of positive attitude :)

> To me this does not feel good. Apparently Illumos has no professional
> governance model to resolve these issues.

Please take your question to illumos.
Apparently it surely has professional level of managing things, that's
one of the reasons they ditched Martin.
If Martin to accept change to on-topic, no grunges way of dealing things,
then it's all OK. He needs to change, not other way around.

> If this can happen, any distro developer or vendor would think twice
> before developing on Illumos. And that is a bad thing for the whole
> Illumos community.
This is bullshit
because as I explained sending and releasing patches have nothing to do
with mailing lists.

Root of the problem is f someone does not understand that contributing
code back is good thing for himself and everyone.
Posting politics together with rants without contribution does not
constitute contribution.

> So I would suggest we think of a better way to approach this than
> hoping it will be solved by itself.
> I would like to keep de OpenSXCE distro available for anyone and at
> the same time construct a transparent Illumos distro support model
> which will support current and hopefully new distros.
> Call it an incubator package or kickstart package which would inspire
> new development on Illumos.
> All suggestions are welcome.

Only way it would solve itself is if people are kind to each other,
_understand_ that copyleft licenses require patches to be sent fro
upstream inclusion or be released with binaries to be legal.
And it goes for any binary distribution of copyleft licensed software,
no matter if someone gives you a DVD , it it on server , send it to your
Mail or otherwise.

It simply does not depend on anyone but on Martin - it is closed source
distribution called Open and only one that is bullshiting is actually
Martin.

Everyone else understand what open shared development is, I suppose you
understand it too.
If you do, please contribute to OI (you can list what you are capable of
doing) or call illumos if you don't know how to send patches.
Thanks.