[OpenIndiana-discuss] recommendation for a distribuition to run Virtualbox on?

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Wed Apr 22 00:42:26 UTC 2015

Hello,
I have been a _long_ time user of OpenSolaris, then OI, now stuck on oi
151a8 for some time as pkg updates stopped working after that release -
some careless dependancy mess just broke it and it was too hard to sort out.

Anyway ... I use it to run Virtualbox (GUI) and some smb/nfs shares on
my home LAN, and the box is getting a little old.  So I'm due to update
the hardware soon.  VB isn't perfect on this platform, I get network
hangs every random interval (so I reboot the server every night to work
around this - urgh ...), but it works and does what I want.

What's the recommendation of the list with regards to updating this to a
new distribution?  Hipster?  Or one of the others, nexenta etc?  All I
want is the Virtualbox GUI, Virtualbox and SMB/NFS shares on top of ZFS.
I don't want to use xen or any of the other virtualisers out there at
the moment, I am happy and comfortable with VB and want to stick with
it.  It mostly "just works" and my scripts are written around it. I am
currently running an Intel i5 CPU with 32GB of RAM and a RAIDZ and
mirror (mirror for root, RZ for a big fileshare).

It will be a mostly implement-and-rust box, I will update the OS if it's
convenient (as OS/OI was until the pkg updates broke at 151aX), but will
mostly leave it alone.

thanks!

Carl