[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hard shutdown now no boot

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Aug 8 22:56:48 UTC 2015

James Carlson <carlsonj at workingcode.com> writes:

> On 8/8/2015 6:02 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Top image is initial screen; I pressed `e' on last item
>> That brought bottom image up where I pressed `e' and added
>> textmode,verbose on each line where you see a green dot. (in rotation)
>
> The flags make sense only on the "kernel$" line.  And I think you want
> to have "-m textmode,verbose" -- the "-m" tells the kernel to pass the
> flags along to SMF.  Here's a blog posting from a few years ago that
> discusses this:
>
> http://lserinol.blogspot.com/2009/02/booting-opensolaris-in-verbose-mode.html

Thanks for the pointer and advice.

I added this to the end of kernel line:

 [...]<spc>-m textmode,verbose

Then pressed enter, then pressed b
The boot attempt ended exactly as I've described.  That is,
It goes to the boot progress graphic, the heavy white line turn red on
the left side.... then a spontanious reboot and around we go again.