[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hard shutdown now no boot

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Aug 8 23:30:46 UTC 2015

James Carlson <carlsonj at workingcode.com> writes:

> On 8/8/2015 6:56 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>> I added this to the end of kernel line:
>>
>>  [...]<spc>-m textmode,verbose
>>
>> Then pressed enter, then pressed b
>> The boot attempt ended exactly as I've described.  That is,
>> It goes to the boot progress graphic, the heavy white line turn red on
>> the left side.... then a spontanious reboot and around we go again.
>
> Hmm.  Try "-B console=text" or "-B console=force-text".  I don't have a
> system like this that I can experiment on at the moment.

Sorry to keep badgering on this... I don't mind doing the
experimenting.

1 point; The kernel line already has console=graphic

So first I tried just adding '[...] -B console=text'
 Then . . . . . . . . . . .  '[...] -B console=force-text'
 Then I tried removing `console=graphic' and putting
                             '[...] -B console=text'
 in its place.

There was a slight change from what has been happening.  In all three
cases above the progress graphic appears but the heavy white line is
not there... and no red appears, a short pause, maybe 15 seconds, then
spontaneous reboot.