[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hard shutdown now no boot

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Sun Aug 9 00:54:26 UTC 2015

On 8/8/2015 7:30 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> So first I tried just adding '[...] -B console=text'
>  Then . . . . . . . . . . .  '[...] -B console=force-text'
>  Then I tried removing `console=graphic' and putting
>                              '[...] -B console=text'
>  in its place.
>
> There was a slight change from what has been happening.  In all three
> cases above the progress graphic appears but the heavy white line is
> not there... and no red appears, a short pause, maybe 15 seconds, then
> spontaneous reboot.

Yes, if there's another "console=" option, you need to remove that.
There's only one console.

The goal here is to get into text mode and find out what is causing the
crash.  The reboot complicates things, of course.  I would use "-k" to
make sure that the system drops into kmdb rather than rebooting so that
the message (if any) stays on the screen long enough to see.  I'd also
use "-v" to enable verbose mode.

That makes sense if there's a driver problem, but it's unclear whether
it'll help you.

Given all the symptoms, it sounds to me like you have either a
completely missing file system (hardware is gone or misconfigured via
BIOS such that it cannot be seen by the drivers), or one that's
corrupted to the point where it cannot be mounted at all.

I'm pretty sure that other posters here have suggested booting off of
DVD or USB and mounting the file systems manually to debug them.  That
sounds like a reasonable way to proceed.