[OpenIndiana-discuss] Newer versions of Firefox -- What About Chrome?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Aug 24 04:54:23 UTC 2015

On 08/23/15 06:43 PM, jay at m5.chicago.il.us wrote:
> I am running Solaris 11.2 on one of my computers, the latest version
> of Solaris available for download from Oracle (at least, as of a month
> ago, when I downloaded and installed it).

That's the latest stable release available, though 11.3 beta was also
released in early July.

> It comes with Firefox ESR 17.0.11.

People with support contracts can upgrade to ESR 31.6.0 (and it's what
comes in the 11.3 beta).

> As far as I can tell, it works fine, I am completely
> satisfied with it.

You must not use very many Google sites then - Youtube & Gmail were putting
up banners about unsupported browsers last time I tried Firefox 17.  And of
course you're a year behind on security fixes with ESR 17.

> Chrome.  How come I never see anyone discussing porting Chrome?  It
> is, after all, an open-source product.  Hasn't anyone else been
> interested in getting Chrome working on OpenSolaris-derived systems?

Chrome is not open source - Chromium (a subset of Chrome) is, sort of
like the full Solaris OS was never open sourced, but most of it was
under the OpenSolaris name to distinguish them.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_%28web_browser%29

In the waning days of OpenSolaris, someone did port Chromium, but instead
of contributing those changes upstream, looked for people to fund his work.
The RFE shows patches being offered but no one caring enough to do anything
with them:  http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=30101

	-alan-