[OpenIndiana-discuss] Newer versions of Firefox -- What About Chrome?

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Mon Aug 24 05:27:06 UTC 2015

Sorry for bottom posting here but it seems appropriate here.

On 08/23/15 08:43 PM, jay at m5.chicago.il.us wrote:

> And, speaking of OpenSXCE (from which one can apparently obtain a
> working version of Firefox 37) -- there was a huge amount of
> discussion on this mailing list a while back about OpenSXCE.  I do not
> want to re-awaken those sleeping threads, I truly do not want to read
> any more postings about whether the man who gave us OpenSXCE is
> irredeemably and irretrievably antisocial, or whether it is moral to
> donate money to someone whose political sympathies lie with people who
> blow up schoolbuses.  I just have one question, which is, why do
> people care so much?  As far as I can tell, OpenSXCE is a
> closed-source OS, is it not?  I recall seeing a whole lot of postings
> where people were pleading with the man who gave us OpenSXCE to open
> up the source, and he was refusing, and please let us not reopen the
> debate about whether his reasons were intelligible, but am I right
> that OpenSXCE is currently closed-source?  If so, why would anyone
> want it?  Just because it has Firefox version 37?  Is Firefox version
> 37 really so much better than Firefox 17.0.11?  It seems to me, that
> if I'm going to run a closed-source OpenSolaris-derived OS, it may as
> well be Solaris.  I'm running Solaris 11.2, as I said before, and
> "zpool upgrade -v" goes up to 35, including things like encryption and
> sharing with inheritance, and "zfs upgrade -v" goes up to 6, which is
> multilevel file system support, I have no idea what that is but it
> must be wonderful.  I understand not wanting to run a closed-source
> OS, but if you're going to, shouldn't one prefer Solaris?  What am I
> missing?

Jay,

I think you are asking yourself the wrong question.  Its not what you're
missing.  IMHO, the right question to be asking here, is what is (feature wise)
important to you.

For me, from the roughly 2 dozen different Solaris based distro's out there, the
majority are focused on x86/x64.   And most couldn't care less about Sparc.  But
I do, and that weighs in as I decide what to run.

I'm sure that there are as many different opinions out there as there are people
using and developing Solaris based distro's.  But Sparc support is an important
one for me.   YMMV.

Jerry