[OpenIndiana-discuss] VirtualBox 5.0.2 running on OpenIndiana Hipster oi_151.1.9 illumos-4cfd297

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Aug 27 06:41:00 UTC 2015

27 августа 2015 г. 0:15:48 CEST, Nikolam <minikola at gmail.com> пишет:
>This is great news@ Thanks for sharing, it is worth trying out.
>I too had VBox uninstallabel on Hipster.
>
>Hope patches could find a way to upstream or building it inside OI for
>Hipster.
>

>On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 9:18 PM, russell <stream at willows7.myzen.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just thought I would let you know that I have unsuccessfully
>installed
>> VirtualBox 4.3.28 and successfully installed VirtualBox 5.0.2.
>>
>> The procedure I followed was to download Jim Klimov excellent
>> vboxconfig.sh script which I used to replace the default one in
>> /opt/VirtualBox, which permitted v4.3.28 to be completely removed.
>>
>> After downloading VirtualBox 5.0.2 and extracting the pkg file
>>
>> #  gzip -d -c VirtualBox-5.0.2-102096-SunOS.tar.gz | ( cd /tmp ; tar
>xf - )
>> # cd /tmp
>> # pkgadd -d ./VirtualBox-5.0.2-SunOS-amd64-r102096.pkg
>>
>> This will proceed normally until the it fails with post processing,
>here
>> Jim's modified script is copied into /opt/VirtualBox containing
>v5.0.2
>> application. Now run, Jim's modified script as follows
>>
>> # cd /opt/VirtualBox
>> # ./vboxconfig.sh --postinstall
>>
>> VirtualBox installation completes. I have found that it constantly on
>> VirtualBox startup it has VirtualBox Warning about disk image files,
>one or
>> more is missing but the VMs work okay so far.
>>
>> Russell

Thanks for the heartwarming reports, so it was not all for nothing ;)

Apparently, the fixes did not yet make it upstream - neither the original VirtualBox, nor to Thomas Gouverneur's svr2ips script so far, as I was (and am) waiting on the top upstream to decide. Ram did not say 'no' so far... though it might help to stir up a bit of attention on their mailing list just to let know I'm not the only one interested in mainstreaming the solution ;)

I'm on vacation camping for a few weeks coming, so am unlikely to be of greater help.

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android