[OpenIndiana-discuss] ML350G6 What to do?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 16:29:41 UTC 2015

FWIW

My N40L is configured with 4 x 2 TB.  Each drive has a small (~100 GB) slice with the rest of the disk in a large slice.  I have a 4 way mirror for rpool using the small slices and the rest is in a RAIDZ2 pool.  Performance has been quite satisfactory.

I configured it this way because you could not boot from EFI disks and had to use EFI for disks larger than 2 TB.  I seem to recall that the EFI boot problem may have been solved.  In which case you could do a 6 way mirrored rpool and RAIDZ2 for the rest of the disks using 4 TB disks.

Since you have 6 bays you could also do a 2 way mirror rpool (e.g. 128 GB SSD) and a 4 disk RAIDZ2 using EFI labeled disks.

Have Fun!
Reg