[OpenIndiana-discuss] ML350G6 What to do?

jason matthews jason at broken.net
Thu Dec 10 19:54:38 UTC 2015

On 12/10/15 5:35 AM, the outsider wrote:

> 3. idea is to create a ZFS RAID Z2 pool with 4 or more drives
RAIDZ2 on four drives, if you need any kind of performance, is silly.
The red drives are still fairly slow by todays standards. Performance
wise, you would be better off with a set of 2x2 mirrors. WWJD - what
would jason do. Well, mirrors, that's what I would do.

In my humble opinion, you should buy more smaller drives than a just a
few big ones. WD doesnt have the best name in the navy for reliability
either so consider spares as well. I use 6TB red drives in my home
system, but I keep them in 3-way mirrors -- i wont roll the dice using
western digital without extreme protection. The WD's cousin, HGST,
produces highly reliable drives but they cost more.

The specs say you can put up to 8 WD Red drives into an enclosure, where
the limiting factor is vibration. The WD Pro drives can do 16
drives/encosure or so the specs say.  I am not sure how many bays you
have, probably 8, but I would plan to use them all. Resilvering a 4TB
drive takes a long long time.

Aside from raidz2 versus mirrors, please consider how you are going to
maintain a backup in case the unexpected happens. It might be that you
backup to a single 6tb drive. So, that is something to think about. HGST
has some new cool 10TB drives, but i havent checked on pricing for those.

> The questions I have:
>
> 1. What should I install: OI Hipster or OI 151a8 or ??

I use oi151a9 at home and a combination of a9 and smartos at work.
smartos provides the flexibility of LX branded zones for those instances
where you dont want the potential instability by adding KVM to the mix.
This has been handy for example, to run the controller for ubiquiti
access points or to spin up modern versions of ELK without having to
port a bunch of software way outside of our core line of business.

I primarily view the  driver as ZFS. When people balk when I tell them
Apsalar is using IllumOS I proceed to describe the system hundreds of
netapp filers on which we can run applications with fantastic data
handling capabilities -- then they sort of get it in abstract way. For
me, it is about ZFS. I am happy to use freebsd or any illumos
distribution. The politics and packaging systems are a distraction to
me. It is not like your system is going to run faster or slower based on
your distribution.

> 2. What is the current limit for OI and WD RED series SATA drive sizes?

Limit? I dunno about a limit. My 6TB reds worked out of the box on a LSI
2308 based controller. If there is a problem, it will in your controller
not in IllumOS.

> 3. I could create a RAID1 config on the P410i with 2x 500GB for the OI OS,
> then I am a bit safer regarding disk failure. But would it work?
Safer? No, not safer. I see no reason to use hardware raid.

> 4. Because the P410i doesn't have JBOD function I want to set all disks as
> RAID0 single disk and create a ZFS pool around them, or ?
This is the definition of jenky

Why dont you just use a proper controller, like an LSI 9207-8i.