[OpenIndiana-discuss] ML350G6 What to do?

Jussi Hamalainen count at theblah.fi
Fri Dec 11 05:50:10 UTC 2015

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015, the outsider wrote:

> To prevent myself from disaster I searched for a bargain and found something
> nicely second hand, so I bought an HP ML350G6 with the (infamous) P410i RAID
> card with 512MB RAM and battery backup.
>
> 2. the server needs to have SATA drives (WD RED series) 2,3 or 4 TB each

I don't mean to spoil your party but I need to bring up something
which I have shared on this list before:

The HP SmartArray controllers require drives with HP firmware. There
are some non-standard commands the array controller uses when talking
to the drives. Using non-HP drives will lead to strange issues with
drives randomly going offline or "failing".

--
-=[ Count Zero / TBH - Jussi Hämäläinen - email count at theblah.fi ]=-