[OpenIndiana-discuss] oi or hipster for ultra5?

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Sun Feb 1 19:22:35 UTC 2015

You have taken it a lot further than I would have.

For an Ultra 5 or 10, I probably would not have gone past Solaris 10, and due to
your ram being well under 4 Gb, I would stay on UFS vs ZFS.

When you say "Solaris 11 install" in reference to this box, do you mean an
install of Sun OpenSolaris?  Or Oracle Solaris 11 Express?   By default, and
beginning with Solaris 11 proper, Oracle Solaris 11 will not install on a Sparc
system unless it is a T series or M series at the low end.

I understand you stating it is a good box, I have an Ultra 10 myself that is
still chugging along, either way, I would take this time to max out the ram on
your system.  I believe that the Ultra 5/10 system board will hold 1 Gb of RAM.
  It seem that you have quite a few more years planned into your Ultra 5, and it
is available new for reasonable prices, or there are a number of old hardware
support list where I suspect that you could acquire more RAM for the cost of
shipping.

Jerry