[OpenIndiana-discuss] oi or hipster for ultra5?

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 19:50:29 UTC 2015

Jerry Kemp wrote:
> You have taken it a lot further than I would have.
>
> For an Ultra 5 or 10, I probably would not have gone past Solaris 10,
> and due to your ram being well under 4 Gb, I would stay on UFS vs ZFS.
>
> When you say "Solaris 11 install" in reference to this box, do you
> mean an install of Sun OpenSolaris?

snv_65 is an early development build of Solaris 11 - actually more like
Solaris 10 than even the earliest Solaris 11 releases.

> Or Oracle Solaris 11 Express?   By default, and beginning with Solaris
> 11 proper, Oracle Solaris 11 will not install on a Sparc system unless
> it is a T series or M series at the low end.
>
> I understand you stating it is a good box, I have an Ultra 10 myself
> that is still chugging along, either way, I would take this time to
> max out the ram on your system.  I believe that the Ultra 5/10 system
> board will hold 1 Gb of RAM.  It seem that you have quite a few more
> years planned into your Ultra 5, and it is available new for
> reasonable prices, or there are a number of old hardware support list
> where I suspect that you could acquire more RAM for the cost of shipping.

Max for Ultra 5 was actually 512Mb. The motherboard will take 1Gb and
people have done it, but in theory it exceeds max power draw on one of
the rails and some DIMMs are too tall without taking something out of
the case (floppy disk drive, and/or the never used smart card reader
housing, IIRC).

Also note that the boot code in the Ultra 5/10 is exceedingly slow
reading in the boot archive - it wasn't originally designed for reading
in files of anything like that size, and is very non-optimal when doing
so (takes many minutes).

--
Andrew Gabriel