[OpenIndiana-discuss] Does OpenBSD support ZFS?

jay at m5.chicago.il.us jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Tue Feb 3 00:02:01 UTC 2015

One of the members of this mailing list has recently written about
upgrading his Sparc computer from Solaris 11 to OpenBSD, because
(highly ironically), new versions of Solaris 11 do not support his
Sparc hardware.

I am surprised that a Solaris 11 user would chose OpenBSD over
NetBSD.  I will be the first to agree that there is something very
wrong with the NetBSD project (I do not know what, exactly, is wrong,
but very surely something is).  However, I cannot picture a Solaris 11
user being happy on a system that does not support ZFS.  NetBSD
supports ZFS, whereas OpenBSD does not (FreeBSD also supports ZFS, but
without NetBSD's commitment to running on obsolete hardware).

Or, is it possible that I am mistaken?  Is there an OpenBSD
implementation of ZFS of which I am unaware?

                        Jay F. Shachter
                        6424 N Whipple St
                        Chicago IL  60645-4111
                                (1-773)7613784   landline
                                (1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
                                jay at m5.chicago.il.us
                                http://m5.chicago.il.us

                        "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"