[OpenIndiana-discuss] oi or hipster for ultra5?

David Brodbeck brodbd at uw.edu
Tue Feb 3 22:56:27 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com>
wrote:

> For regular distros there are a couple of major resource constraints:
> ZFS has a certain footprint. (Although it's somewhat overstated - I've
> run zfs based systems that have 512M of memory quite happily. Not
> as file servers, of course.)

I think the footprint of ZFS is mostly a matter of what features you're
using and how much you're scaling out.  e.g., each additional filesystem
requires some memory, dedup requires more memory, etc.  I have in the past
had problems with the ARC getting too large and causing allocation failures
on a 4 GB system, but that was a fileserver with a few hundred filesystems
and a heavy I/O load.