[OpenIndiana-discuss] data on rpool - Bad idea?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Feb 7 15:27:44 UTC 2015

On Sat, 7 Feb 2015, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I've read that it is a bad idea to have datasets on the same disc
> that rpool is on.  I'm not sure why that is so.

The main reason why is that then you can't just blow away the OS
install pool and reinstall from scratch without needing to do
something with the data.  For example, you might want to install
another OS for which there is no current upgrade path.  With zfs on a
pool separate from rpool, then you could install a different
OpenIndiana, Linux with ZFS, FreeBSD, OmniOS, Tribblix, etc., and just
import the existing data pool.  You could also multi-boot the system
with different OSs which support ZFS and each could import your data
pool.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn