[OpenIndiana-discuss] data on rpool - Bad idea?

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Sat Feb 7 15:58:50 UTC 2015

Bob Friesenhahn writes:
> > I've read that it is a bad idea to have datasets on the same disc
> > that rpool is on.  I'm not sure why that is so.
>
> The main reason why is that then you can't just blow away the OS
> install pool and reinstall from scratch without needing to do
> something with the data.

Theoretically, yes.  But in his use case, he has config info on the
box as well (users, hosts, maybe his mail spool, etc.).  So he will
need to salvage data from the rpool manually anyway.

If you are in a data center where you have DNS and LDAP, everything is
auto-mounted and nodes are provisioned automatically, then a data-free
rpool is certainly a prerequisite.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"