[OpenIndiana-discuss] data on rpool - Bad idea?

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Feb 7 21:07:55 UTC 2015

Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> writes:

[...]

It was good to hear from other posters that there is nothing wrong
with, in my use case, putting data sets on same disc as rpool.

> The main reason why is that then you can't just blow away the OS
> install pool and reinstall from scratch without needing to do
> something with the data.  For example, you might want to install
> another OS for which there is no current upgrade path.  With zfs on a
> pool separate from rpool, then you could install a different
> OpenIndiana, Linux with ZFS, FreeBSD, OmniOS, Tribblix, etc., and just
> import the existing data pool.  You could also multi-boot the system
> with different OSs which support ZFS and each could import your data
> pool.

But, those comments give me pause.

I'm thinking my original setup which is in about the exact situation
you mention, is maybe still a better way to go.

I'm on OI, and it seems a good chance that either the day will come
where OI is upgradable to hipster, and hipster developers start
regular updates etc, or I will be faced with upgrading manually to
something else.  And in that case, as you say, I would be very glad
I didn't have piles of data on my OS/rpool discs.