[OpenIndiana-discuss] HP Proliant Microserver N54L Upgrade

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 14:45:56 UTC 2015

I got a 3 TB Toshiba Canvio USB drive to format using 151a7 on an N40L.

>From my notes:

"The key to formatting the 3 TB drive was to use "format -e", supply LBA pseudo geometry and create an EFI label.  NB must run fdisk from within format"

However, it's not clear this was the USB drive rather than a bare 3 TB SATA drive.  I was battling several things and a few years later it's not as clear as it seemed when I wrote it.  I vividly recall I had a lot of trouble getting it to work properly, and considered just giving the drive to a friend to use on his Mac.

But yes, it can be made to work.  I use it to save incrementals from  my backup server.

The following  is w/ the drive imported to my 151a8 internet access host.

 # zpool get all tosh_pool
NAME       PROPERTY               VALUE                  SOURCE
tosh_pool  size                   2.72T                  -
tosh_pool  capacity               49%                    -
tosh_pool  altroot                -                      default
tosh_pool  health                 ONLINE                 -
tosh_pool  guid                   556785976751203449     default
tosh_pool  version                -                      default
tosh_pool  bootfs                 -                      default
tosh_pool  delegation             on                     default
tosh_pool  autoreplace            off                    default
tosh_pool  cachefile              -                      default
tosh_pool  failmode               wait                   default
tosh_pool  listsnapshots          off                    default
tosh_pool  autoexpand             off                    default
tosh_pool  dedupditto             0                      default
tosh_pool  dedupratio             1.00x                  -
tosh_pool  free                   1.36T                  -
tosh_pool  allocated              1.36T                  -
tosh_pool  readonly               off                    -
tosh_pool  comment                -                      default
tosh_pool  expandsize             0                      -
tosh_pool  freeing                0                      default
tosh_pool  feature at async_destroy  enabled                local
tosh_pool  feature at empty_bpobj    enabled                local
tosh_pool  feature at lz4_compress   disabled               local

and:

format> verify

Volume name = <        >
ascii name  = <Toshiba-External USB 3.0-3704-2.73TB>
bytes/sector	=  4096
sectors = 732566645
accessible sectors = 732566640
Part      Tag    Flag     First Sector         Size         Last Sector
  0 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  1 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  2 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  3 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  4 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  5 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  6 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  7 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  8 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0

Which looks wrong, so I'm not sure what's going on.  I had loads of fun w/ the sector alignment.  You should look at the ZFS pages.  Klimov and I tried to document some of this stuff.  George Wilson's writeup proved quite important, so make sure you read that also.

http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/ZFS+and+Advanced+Format+disks

I did this on the N40L which is powered down at the moment, but there is probably more info on that.  The notes quoted above are from my log book.

Reg