[OpenIndiana-discuss] HP Proliant Microserver N54L Upgrade

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 16 11:20:29 UTC 2015

Marion Hakanson wrote:
> Has anyone out there actually got a drive > 2TB working via USB on
> an illumos distribution?  My attempts so far have failed (oi151a7, oi151a9,
> and XStreamOS), with my 3TB drive in a USB-SATA enclosure appearing as
> a 2TB drive.  The same drive/enclosure works perfectly when attached
> to MacOS-X via USB, and the same drive/enclosure works fine when attached
> by its eSATA connection to my illumos-based systems.
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/discuss@lists.illumos.org.email.enqueue.archive.li
> stbox.com/msg00499.html
[2nd attempt - first vanished into a black hole]

I had a quick look through scsa2usb.c (not that it's an area I know),
and I can only see it using Group 5 (12 byte) SCSI commands. This will
limit the addressing to 2^32 blocks, which is 2TB for a 512byte/sector disk.

So if I'm right, this is a limitation of USB-connected drives on Illumos.

--
Andrew