[OpenIndiana-discuss] forum creation

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 16:04:28 UTC 2015

On 01/28/15 01:28 PM, Daniel Kjar wrote:
> Because when a person searches for help using oi you end up scrolling
> through email lists which is not conducive to posting questions and it
> makes it feel like a closed discussion. It also makes it feel like a dead
> project. If it were not dead why wouldn't you be us I g a forum?
>
> Personally I like the email list but I can't deny how the younger
> generations like to interact and how email lists display in search engines.
> On Jan 25, 2015 11:07 AM, "Glenn Holmer" <shadowm at lyonlabs.org> wrote:

Sooner or later, younger generations (finally) learn how to use e-mail
client program and to appreciate ability to have whole list archives
offline and online.

And younger generations might find a way to represent mailing lists in a
Web way, not the other way around. You are free to give us solution of
representing mailing list in graphical way, without loosing abilities of
mailing list.

If mindset of the observer is closed or framed, then the way of
representing it is not the biggest problem.

Personally, I feel every "forum" with centralized administration and
"admins" who delete people's posts very much more closed discussion then
mailing list.

Maybe it is god idea to have it in a graphical way, but if mailing list
of doing things is preserved, then there's no objection to Web
representation of mailing lists.