[OpenIndiana-discuss] A ZFS related question: How successful is ZFS, really???

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 11:38:15 UTC 2015

ZFS is the most advanced filesystem on the planet IMHO, we have been using
it for 10+ years in production.

There are reasons not to use it, but they are usually limitations not
related to ZFS itself.

We used to use tape backup for our old UFS systems, and it came as a shock
when we couldn't use tapes with ZFS easily ... but we just bit the bullet
and realised that tapes were a dead technology, and just went for ZFS
snapshots and keeping offline'd disks in the fireproof safe.

There is some fragmentation, Solaris 11 has an incompatible version of ZFS,
at least for now.

ZFS on Linux doesn't come compiled into the kernel by default, which means
that you can't have a ZFS root and update the kernel at the same time,
without being _very_ _careful_!

ZFS on USB in Solaris is a little flaky, but that's not down to the ZFS,
it's down to the USB support, and when the ZFS root system fails the whole
system is unrecoverable.

Seriously though, ZFS does more than any other file system, it is more
robust and it's easier to manage ... all other filesystems are useless in
comparison.

BTRFS, don't go there, it's a poor man's ZFS, the Microsoft "equivalent"
likewise shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

Just my 2cents.

Jon

On 12 January 2015 at 11:13, Hans J. Albertsson <hans.j.albertsson at gmail.com