[OpenIndiana-discuss] A ZFS related question: How successful is ZFS, really???

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 14:17:56 UTC 2015

Nexenta alone is probably around an Exabyte of licensed installations,
and that's a mix of displaced traditional storage vendors, and new
growth in old and new companies. There are many ZFS-based storage
vendors in addition to Nexenta. The traditional 'big 8' storage vendors
charged $9B for 9EB storage in 2012, which averages $1000/TB, and they
have really struggled to reduce costs - instead they've lost market
share to many of the new storage providers who produce products costing
only a small fraction of that.

Can you think of any other filesystem which is being adopted by OS and
appliance distributions at anything like the rate of ZFS?

Since you mention Sun/Oracle, I don't see them pushing ZFS very much
anymore, although I am aware their engineers still work on it.