[OpenIndiana-discuss] A ZFS related question: How successful is ZFS, really???

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Mon Jan 12 14:24:10 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 8:17 AM, Andrew Gabriel <
illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Since you mention Sun/Oracle, I don't see them pushing ZFS very much
> anymore, although I am aware their engineers still work on it.

Oracle pushes ZFS hard and aggressively.   I dare you to fill out their
contact form or download their virtual appliance demo.  Their sales people
will be calling within the hour.

We just recently went through a bidding war on an HA + DR system with 1/2
PB useable storage with many vendors including Nexenta and Oracle.  Oracle
was price competitive with Nexenta and is in my opinion a much more
polished product.

We still chose to build our own on OmniOS because we could still do that
for about 1/2 the price of Oracle / Nexenta.  That's less than 1/4 the
price of 3par/HP, IBM, Dell/Compellent   BTW, our OmniOS build is on the
exact same hardware, Nexenta would have been.

-Chip