[OpenIndiana-discuss] console local and via SOL

Predrag Zecevic [Unix Systems Administrator] Predrag.Zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Tue Jan 13 09:23:50 UTC 2015

Hi,

I guess you should try to connect to local console even it it is redirected to serial (I guess if you enable VT, you SHOULD be able
to use it).

Also check:
a) http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/4.6+Remote+Console
b) if VT is/are enabled (on my OI box):
$ svcs -a | grep vt
online         Jan_12   svc:/system/vtdaemon:default
online         Jan_12   svc:/system/console-login:vt3
online         Jan_12   svc:/system/console-login:vt5
online         Jan_12   svc:/system/console-login:vt6
online         Jan_12   svc:/system/console-login:vt4
online         Jan_12   svc:/system/console-login:vt2

Regards.

On 01/13/15 10:15 AM, sam at freudiger.nl wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am pretty new to openindiana and am working on a custom solution to use serial over lan (SOL).
> I have the serial port redirected to Lan interface and am able to connect to it via the BMC/IPMI -feature of the mainboard.
> The output of /dev/console can be chosen by "eeprom console=ttya" and back by eeprom console=tetx (or can be set via setprop -oprion
> in /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc) and I can then see and interact with the console via local VGA / keyboard (option text) or via SOL
> (option ttya).
> Now my question is; can this be changed to have a login available on both, local and via SOL?
> Not 100% sure if this is the right place to ask this, if not, please point me in the right direction.
>
> Cheers
> sam

Predrag Zečević, Technical Support Analyst, 2e Systems GmbH

Telephone: +49 6196 9505 815, Facsimile: +49 6196 9505 894
Mobile:    +49  174 3109 288,     Skype: predrag.zecevic
E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
                       65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Managing director:    Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!

Think lucky. If you fall in a pond, check your pockets for fish. -- Darrell Royal