[OpenIndiana-discuss] forum creation

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 25 21:55:07 UTC 2015

Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> I asked what was broken, so the text below misquotes me entirely.  I do not think anything needs to be changed.  I think the OI/Illumos lists work pretty well.  We seem to have weathered the DMARC issue w/o too much trouble.
>
> The archive provides a good interface for older discussions.  I'm also of the opinion that part of the price of getting help from others is providing it when the opportunity presents itself.
>
> Gratuitous graphics, how many posts you've made and how long you've been a member are not things I care about.  If your mailbox gets too full, get an email address just for your mailing list subscriptions.
Or set up to auto-folder or auto-delete the emails during periods you
aren't following the list.

The archives are not a good interface for older discussions - I use my
email client on a dedicated folder to search the archives.

Although I personally hate forums, I am also aware that use of email by
those currently of university age has plummeted, with many not using it
at all. If someone with an interest in forums came forward with a
proposal that would bi-directionally mirror the mailing list discussion
in a forum, that would open the discussions up to some younger people
who won't follow a project via a mailing list.

There is an IRC channel, #openindiana on chat.freenode.net

--
Andrew Gabriel