[OpenIndiana-discuss] forum creation

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 01:06:33 UTC 2015

On 01/31/15 01:57 AM, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> People in the business and personal world are using Mail clients very
>> intensively.
>> Not every Mail server admin or service provider is happy with keeping all
>> copies of all messages on servers forever, so Mail clients are in wide use
>> and they will stay being one of main tools for actually main service on the
>> internet, e-mail.
>>
> In my experience that's mostly only true in shops that rely heavily on MS
> Exchange and MS Outlook.  Most other places I've worked either had already
> outsourced to a webmail provider, or were trying to do so.  But your
> mileage may vary.
>
> Nothing stops you to use IMAP client on all your devices and I bet there is
>> wide range of solutions on any possible platform, correct me if I am wrong.
>>
> I used to do that, but they were constantly getting out of sync,
> disagreeing about which messages were read/unread, undeleting each others'
> deleted messages, leaving messages-that-weren't-messages with config
> information in them, etc.  It seems that while IMAP is a standard, the way
> clients actually use the server is not at all standardized.  Eventually it
> got to be too much of a hassle.
Dunno, that's why I have solution of: "Thunderbird everywhere" (tm) . :)
At least they support all desktop platforms.
And people usually recognize Outlook is one-platform and costly solution.
And for rest of (not so sane) clients, there is POP3.

Actually I hope more people would realize over time that having personal
mail client , even in the form of isolated Web client for user only, is
better choice for freedom etc. And who knows maybe something else will
sprung up on internet, who knows.