[OpenIndiana-discuss] forum creation

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 08:33:33 UTC 2015

On 01/25/15 05:28 PM, Dmitry Kozhinov wrote:
> The current "forum" spreads out its presence to my email inbox,
> instead of staying at openindiana.org site. This is undesirable (at
> least for me), and forces me to subscribe every time when I want to
> contribute to the forum, and unsubscribe immediately after that. Just
> want to keep my email and this forum separate.
>
> Dmitry.
That is because you confuse terms "forum", "mailing list" and using of
your mail client.

"Forums" are parts of web sites, connected to local per-site database
that simulates writing messages , viewing them and all other functions.
With forums, no one actually send or post anything, it is totally under
discression of site/domain owner to manage them.  Forums usually have
not very functioning views of message threads, they are under total
control of site owner , does not allow privacy in messages between users
and are actually poor replacemnt for mailing list (but usually with Web
GUI).

"Mailing lists" also rely on centralized mail server (that one
"subscribes" to) but users use their own mail client applications and
treat traffic on the list like ordinary mail messages.
It is customary for mailing list users to set FILTERS in their own mail
applications or webmail they use,
so that every message on mailing list ends up on directory under Inbox.
(Usually filtering by "List-ID" mail header).
So it's up to every user to know how to use it's own mail client
software or service, set up filters and be done with it.

Just to mention, Gmail that I use (and I use is both with WebGUI/webmail
and as IMAP with Thunderbird with filters),
have not so nice "feature" of not displaying my own (bounced) messages
that I send to mailing list. So I don't see my own messages on the list,
until I copy them manually inside my Inbox. It is only Gmail's problem
so for extended mailing list use, other mail then Gmail is better.