[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster and puppet

Grüninger, Andreas (LGL Extern) Andreas.Grueninger at lgl.bwl.de
Mon Jan 26 09:01:54 UTC 2015

Last Friday I made an installation of hipster in our corporate network.
We use puppet for configuration management.
Puppet set facts to classify the system and one of them is "operatingsystem".
The value for operatingsystem is determined by evaluation of 'uname -v'.

# Hipster: uname -v
illumos-f8554bb

# OpenIndiana oi151a9 : uname -v
oi_151a9

and the ruby code of puppet

      def get_operatingsystem
        output = Facter::Core::Execution.exec('uname -v')
        if output =~ /^joyent_/
          "SmartOS"
        elsif output =~ /^oi_/
          "OpenIndiana"
        elsif output =~ /^omnios-/
          "OmniOS"
        elsif FileTest.exists?("/etc/debian_version")
          "Nexenta"
        else
          "Solaris"
        end
      end

IMHO this is a wrong classification as hipster will be handled like Oracle Solaris.
And we manage OpenIndiana a151a9 and Oracle Solaris systems with puppet.
And the test system was handled as an Oracle Solaris system.

I will make a pull request to change the value but I am unsure which value to choose.
What do you prefer?
"OpenIndiana" as before and as recognition of a special distribution.
"IllumOS" as a more general specification.

Andreas