[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster and puppet

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Mon Jan 26 16:34:15 UTC 2015

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster and puppet, Grüninger, Andreas...:

> Last Friday I made an installation of hipster in our corporate network.
> We use puppet for configuration management.
> Puppet set facts to classify the system and one of them is "operatingsystem".
> The value for operatingsystem is determined by evaluation of 'uname -v'.
>
> # Hipster: uname -v
> illumos-f8554bb
>
> # OpenIndiana oi151a9 : uname -v
> oi_151a9

I would argue that the real problem is that hipster is reporting "illumos"
instead of oi.

> and the ruby code of puppet
>
>      def get_operatingsystem
>        output = Facter::Core::Execution.exec('uname -v')
>        if output =~ /^joyent_/
>          "SmartOS"
>        elsif output =~ /^oi_/
>          "OpenIndiana"
>        elsif output =~ /^omnios-/
>          "OmniOS"
>        elsif FileTest.exists?("/etc/debian_version")
>          "Nexenta"
>        else
>          "Solaris"
>        end
>      end

Illumos should probably be one of the possible values for the
$operatingsystem fact, but hipster shouldn't be saying that it's
more like illumos than OI.

At some point, there will probably need to be a discussion about the
$osfamily fact too.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)