[OpenIndiana-discuss] not all snapshots showing in windows previous versions.

John McEntee JMcEntee at stirling-dynamics.com
Fri Jan 30 10:17:45 UTC 2015

I have a openindiana server that is used as a windows share. Users can recover files themselves using the previous versions feature within windows. The snapshots used to be managed by timesliderd and when a previous versions was listed on a directory (folder) it would list all the snapshots.

Time-sliderd has since broken the claim to be running and all the snapshot services claim to be running but no snapshots are created. So I implemented a work around of snapshotting using my own script, and currently an occasional  manual clean.

My script is

zfs_snap
#!/bin/bash

date=`/usr/gnu/bin/date +%Y-%m-%d_%Hh%M`

/usr/sbin/zfs snapshot -r tank/prod at john-auto_$1_$date

Called via crontab

0 1 1 * *  /root/zfs_snap monthly
0 21 * * 5 /root/zfs_snap weekly
0 20 * * * /root/zfs_snap daily
0 * * * * /root/zfs_snap hourly
15,30,45 * * * * /root/zfs_snap frequent

But now only some of the snapshots make it through to windows although they all exist on the server. Any idea why?

Thanks

John

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential and are solely for the person(s) at the e-mail address(es) above. If you are not an addressee, you may not disclose, distribute, copy or use this e-mail, and we request that you send an e-mail to admin at stirling-dynamics.com and delete this e-mail.  Stirling Dynamics Ltd. accepts no legal liability for the contents of this e-mail including any errors, interception or interference, as internet communications are not secure.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Stirling Dynamics Ltd. Registered In England No. 2092114 Registered Office: 26 Regent Street, Clifton, Bristol. BS8 4HG
VAT no. GB 464 6551 29