[OpenIndiana-discuss] forum creation

David Brodbeck brodbd at uw.edu
Sat Jan 31 00:57:18 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:

> People in the business and personal world are using Mail clients very
> intensively.
> Not every Mail server admin or service provider is happy with keeping all
> copies of all messages on servers forever, so Mail clients are in wide use
> and they will stay being one of main tools for actually main service on the
> internet, e-mail.

In my experience that's mostly only true in shops that rely heavily on MS
Exchange and MS Outlook.  Most other places I've worked either had already
outsourced to a webmail provider, or were trying to do so.  But your
mileage may vary.

Nothing stops you to use IMAP client on all your devices and I bet there is
> wide range of solutions on any possible platform, correct me if I am wrong.

I used to do that, but they were constantly getting out of sync,
disagreeing about which messages were read/unread, undeleting each others'
deleted messages, leaving messages-that-weren't-messages with config
information in them, etc.  It seems that while IMAP is a standard, the way
clients actually use the server is not at all standardized.  Eventually it
got to be too much of a hassle.