[OpenIndiana-discuss] No longer using OI Desktop

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 5 13:00:45 UTC 2015

Jonathan,
Very good points as some similar issues haunt the BSD/Linux desktop worlds.. I remember when I mentioned that Solaris 11.2 still lacked decent AMD/ATI Radeon support or when OI-Hipster started with a newer Nvidia driver that dropped Nvidia GeForce 6000/7000 support used on my laptop. Had to suck it up and move on, use an older OI release, or adapt to the newer OI-Hipster releases....
Here are a few things I've done:
1. You can use PDF Studio, linux VM, or Wine for using later versions of Adobe Reader.2. Intel driver support affects BSD, all OpenSolaris/Illumos distro releases, as well as even Solaris < Solaris 11.2.3. OI is as flexible with desktops as BSD/Linux distros. Not really a major issue - just your choice. Windowmaker is still used.4. FF 17ESR & 24ESR are supported. Flash Player 10 & 11.2.202.223 varies. (see: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html) There is now FF 37.1, ported to OI which is a bit leading-edge so your mileage may vary there as well....
Using other OSes is a matter of choice and many of us like the 'new and shiny' applications available on those distros. Like a toolbox,it is a matter of picking the best tool (i.e. distro/OS/app) for the job.
The other thing I mentioned was the older linux wrapper, QuickTransit, or other VM/hypervisor tech option which lets you run most linux apps without porting everything. I worked with that before I got more into Wine ports, but that is just another option.
Otherwise, use what works best for your desktop needs.
~ Ken