[OpenIndiana-discuss] Libreoffice

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 20:49:33 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 8:57 PM, Volker A. Brandt <vab at bb-c.de> wrote:

> > as a pointer for people who want to get
> > LibreOffice running on other distros such as OI, I've written up my
> > notes here:
> >

> http://ptribble.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/building-libreoffice-on-tribblix.html
>
> Thank you Peter!  This will be very useful.
>
> You write that LibreOffice is the "primary candidate" for an office
> suite for Tribblix.  Why did you select LibreOffice over OpenOffice?

It's got greater mindshare, more developers, more users, shipped by more
distros. Not to mention better and wider document format support.

> Some of the stated goals of the LibreOffice project when they forked
> were to convert all comments from German to English, and to rip out
> all Solaris-specific things.  I would have guessed that OpenOffice
> would be easier to build than LibreOffice.

All the modernization and refactoring in LibreOffice (and the replacement
of the old build system) have made it much easier to build - the old
build system was far more rigid and fragile.

> Anyway, more choice is always good.

Having a functional office suite at all has to be good!

--
-Peter Tribble