[OpenIndiana-discuss] network errors

the outsider openindiana at out-side.nl
Fri Jun 19 15:56:42 UTC 2015

I have a server with 3 networkports connected to the local network (1GB)

On my server I run multiple zones all within the same range. (192.168.132.x)

I have several OI and solaris 11 servers and have never seen these problems
before, they seem to be related:

Problem 1:

When I try pkg update from the global zone I get only error messages like

3: Framework error: code: 7 reason: Failed to connect to 91.194.74.133:
Cannot assign requested address

This "Cannot assign requested address" can be caused by a limit on free
sockets, but I tried "netstat -s |fgrep -i listendrop" and it reports:

netstat -s |fgrep -i listendrop

        tcpListenDrop       =     0     tcpListenDropQ0     =     0

        sctpListenDrop      =     0     sctpInClosed        =     0

so no packets seem to get dropped

Problem 2:

>From the within the zones I get ping and other connection errors like DNS to
all IP-adresses outside the server. This happens randomly it seems.

root at GF03:~# traceroute openindiana.org

traceroute to openindiana.org (95.131.249.92), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets

1  * * *

2  * * *

3 ^C

But 2 minutes later:

root at GF03:~# traceroute openindiana.org

traceroute: unknown host openindiana.org

root at GF03:~# traceroute openindiana.org

traceroute: unknown host openindiana.org

a couple of weeks ago the problems were even bigger and I stumbled upon a
helpfile on the internet suggesting to turn on svc:/network/location:default

svcadm enable svc:/network/location:default

It cured a lot of connection problems, but it was the first time that I had
to enable it within zones and there a still strange connection errors.

OS is : SunOS PSK-OI 5.11 oi_151a9 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris

The server is connected to a 24 port Gigabit switch, together with another
Solaris 11 box and a windows server. These 2 servers don't have any problem.