[OpenIndiana-discuss] openindiana-discuss Digest, Vol 56, Issue 22 (fwd)

jay at m5.chicago.il.us jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Sun Mar 22 03:14:25 UTC 2015

Centuries ago, Nostradamus predicted that John D Groenveld <jdg117 at elvis.arl.psu.edu> would write on Wed, 18 Mar 2015 08:35:38 -0400:

> # lpadmin -p lexmark-x6170 -v /dev/usb/printer0 -o banner=never \
> -I postscript \
> -n /usr/share/ppd/SUNWfoomatic/Lexmark/Lexmark-Z51-lx5000.ppd.gz

I don't have that file.  I installed foomatic (although after doing
so, I had to uninstall foomatic-db-engine, because it broke CUPS), and
that gave me quite a few files in /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-db-ppds,
but I have no file named Lexmark-Z51-lx5000.ppd.gz.  If you have that
file, can you please send it to me (together with any programs that it
mentions that I might not have, like /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoz55)?
I do have a file named /usr/share/foomatic/db/source/printer/Lexmark-Z51.xml,
from which, perhaps, the foomatic db engine could create a ppd file,
but, as I mentioned above, I had to uninstall foomatic-db-engine
within minutes after installing it, because it broke CUPS ("Unable to
get list of printer drivers:").  Thank you in advance.

(Parenthetically, I could not configure foomatic-db-engine without
first obtaining the source code to the public domain "file" program
that everyone except Solaris-derived systems uses -- the configure
script required a "file" program that would understand a "-" parameter
to denote standard input, and everyone else's "file" program, except
ours, behaves that way -- and I could not build that program without
first modifying its source, because one of its source files referred
to a typedef named sig_t, which does not exist in signal.h nor in any
other header file, I had to define it myself.  Have I mentioned that
software never builds right the first time on a Solaris-derived
system?  If we knew, in advance, how much time we would have to spend
getting programs to build, no one on this mailing list would ever have
installed a Solaris-derived system on any of our computers.  But I
digress.)

                        Jay F. Shachter
                        6424 N Whipple St
                        Chicago IL  60645-4111
                                (1-773)7613784   landline
                                (1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
                                jay at m5.chicago.il.us
                                http://m5.chicago.il.us

                        "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"