[OpenIndiana-discuss] rsyncd configuration

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Thu Mar 26 08:50:24 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am trying to solve a problem that i have ignored for quite a long
time. The issue is that "messages" are flooded with rsync permission
errors, and that some files are not backed up properly. What I have
found so far is the following:
- rsyncd is running as "root"
-the issue is the same when rsync is invoked locally, or from a remote
host (I am running OI as a backup server calling other machines, OI and
Ubuntu as clients). The call usually is "rsync -azt --numeric-ids
--timeout=600 --port ..."
- the failing files all seem to have in common that there are no read
rights on the o- bits. (i.e. 2.5K -rw-------  1 root root
ssh_host_rsa_key file is faling consistently)

I seem to be missing something really basic with the access rights here.
My understanding is that the access rights of the user running rsyncd on
the client will count.  Naively, why would rsync running as root not
read a file root owns? Why is this going per o- permissions?
If I could make it go by the group at least, then still how could I
solve the other aspects, i.e. the rsync user reading files that are
owned by others like dladm:netadm? I understand as well that at least
for the above RSA key I don't want to have anybody else but owner read
the file. Is there still some RBAC trick or ACLs that could help me back
up everything?
Once solved for OI, I will probably have to address the same on the
linux machines.

Thanks for any hints, and sorry for the noob aspects of this matter if
there are any.

Regards,

Sebastian