[OpenIndiana-discuss] rsyncd configuration

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Mar 26 13:34:01 UTC 2015

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015, Sebastian Gabler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to solve a problem that i have ignored for quite a long time. The
> issue is that "messages" are flooded with rsync permission errors, and that
> some files are not backed up properly. What I have found so far is the
> following:
> - rsyncd is running as "root"

Check your rsyncd.conf file.  For example, one of my rsyncd.conf files
starts with:

uid = nobody
gid = nobody

so that rsync changes its effective uid to 'nobody' before doing
anything.  This is pretty common since rsyncd is often used in
evironments with untrusted users.

On another rsyncd.conf file which is used to successfully transfer ssh
private key files, I am using

uid = root
gid = root

Bob